100th post celebration & Dumroot/ Dummadai/ Rava Cake

17:06 Niloufer Riyaz 10 Comments

I cannot express my happiness when I am typing out this post as its a dream come true for me. Its my 100th post! A special thanks to family members and all my blogger friends for encouraging me with lovely comments. I've always had a raging passion in cooking and always wanted to achieve something. Even when I started blogging I had a doubt whether I would success in blogging. But my hubby only encouraged me in moving forward( A very special thanks to him) and my father encouraged me by giving new ideas in posting recipes( A very special thanks to him once again). I wanted my 100th post to be something special and that’s why I chose Dummadai which is a special sweet for special occasions. This is for my hubby and my father as this sweet is their favorite.



This recipe is from my grandmother. Dummadai is made with rava, eggs sugar and ghee. In my village they used to prepare this in large quantity like 1kg or 2kg during special occasions or while visiting someone special. Its baked in old fashioned clay stove. they place a clay tray on the stove fill it with sand and place the vessel with the rava mixture. Cover it with tray and place hot coal on top and bake for an hour. The top layer gets browned while the inside is soft and sweet. Such a long procedure. My hubby always missed this sweet as we are miles far from our hometown and its not possible to bake with sand and hot coal. I tried baking this in oven with a smaller quantity. With so many trial and error. I finally got the perfect proportion for the perfect Dummadai. For those who wants to try a large quantity, the measurement is 1kg rava, 1kg sugar, 20 eggs, 800-900gms ghee, 25gms cardamom seeds (it gives a special flavour), 400gms condensed milk and 100gms cashews.. This gives you a huge quantity of dummadai.



Im using cardmom powder here as its a small quantity. It tastes very good when baked in oven even though not prepared in conventional method. You can refrigerate them for a month and reheat in a microwave and have it fresh.

Sending this tasty Dummadai to Priya's CWS-Cardamom seeds and to Champa's Bake-off event and finally to Srilekha's efm-sweets-and-savories-for-diwali



You need:
Rava                        125gms
Sugar                       125gms
Ghee                        125gms
Condensed milk        4tbsp
Cardamom powder   1/2tsp
Salt                           a vey small pinch
Cashews                   25gms
Egg                           2(large)
Baking powder          a small pinch

Preparation:
Dry roast the rava till it turns golden brown and the aroma comes. Cool completely.



Beat the egg and sugar in mixie for 30-40seconds. The sugar should have dissolved. Do not beat the eggs too much like we beat for cake. Strain the egg mixture.
Mix in the Rava, condensed milk, baking powder, salt, cashews and cardamom powder to the egg mixture.



Preheat the oven @ 180*C.
Heat the ghee in a kadai and when the ghee is hot add in the rava mixture. Dont get alarmed when you see a little of the mixture getting cooked in the hot ghee. Mix the rava mixture and ghee fast and cook for a minute till the mixture gets hot.
Pour the rava mixture in to a greased baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Check whether it has cooked completely by inserting a skewer. If it comes out clean then, its cooked. Otherwise bake for a few more minutes.


Cool, invert them in to a plate and cut them into pieces.
Serve

Sending them again to Jay's I love My Dad event

10 comments:

Champa said...

Beautiful cake. I loved the story. Good to know about olden baking methods. Thanks for the entry.

pierre said...

hello Congratulations for your 100th post it is amazing !! Bravo Pierre de Paris

Priya Suresh said...

Congrats Nilou..keep rocking..this rava cake looks fabulous..

Anonymous said...

I am discovering your blog, too and there are so many yummy-looking recipes that I would like to try! This is one of them! And congrats for the 100th post :-)

Unknown said...

I made a dumroot today....it came out soo well...I shared it with my neighbours

Unknown said...

Yummy...

Unknown said...

This is very tasty sweet cake.if you use brown eggs for this cake then it will be more tasty than the white eggs method.this cake called as "Damroot" in tamil.

Unknown said...

Congratulations.for your post.

Unknown said...

What happens if excess ghee present in the mixture

Thank u dear